For the discerning gent, Malta has a lot more to offer than you might realise. As well as the renowned architecture and fascinating history, it’s a sportsman’s playground, offering yachting, golfing, scuba diving, classic car racing and so much more.
Stay at the magnificent Phoenicia Hotel, which has welcomed Hollywood icons from Charlton Heston and Oliver Reed to Pierce Brosnan and Brad Pitt, and you’ll be in prime position by the bastions of the cosmopolitan capital city Valletta to enjoy the many attractions and events.
Whether you’re after a cultural break, an upmarket stag weekend or simply want to ensure you have plenty to do whilst your other half is shopping or sunbathing, you’ll find something to suit all tastes. Check out our top tips for men visiting Malta:
1. Visit the Lascaris War Rooms in Valletta, which are located in St James’ Ditch, underneath the Upper Barracca Gardens. A must-see for those interested in WWII history, this is the secret bunker where the defence of Malta and later the invasion of Sicily were managed and has been faithfully resorted using the original equipment. Guided tours include a 10-minute film. Open daily from 10 am to 5pm. Admission and tour €10.
2. Be Indiana Jones for a day at the Hal Saflieni Hypogeum, Paola. This World Heritage Site is a vast underground structure which dates back to around 2500 B.C. and was used as a burial chamber in prehistoric times. Visitors can explore the complex labyrinth of elaborate interconnecting chambers with domed vaulting. Open daily, admission €20.
3. Time your visit to take in the Mdina Grand Prix from 10th to 13th October 2013, staged beneath the Bastions of Mdina which was once Malta’s capital city. This stunning location, which has been used in films such as Gladiator and Troy, provides a breathtaking backdrop to the prestigious annual event, organized by the Valletta Grand Prix Foundation. The three-day programme includes classic car displays, timed sprints, demonstration runs and various social gatherings, attracting entrants and visitors from all over Europe.
4. Watch some of the world’s finest yachts set sail in the Rolex Middle Sea Race departing Valletta 19th October 2013. Witness the exhilarating spectacle as more than 75 yachts leave the Grand Harbour in this famed race which follows a course past Sicily, the Aeolian Islands, the Egadi Islands, Pantelleria and the Lampedusa Islands, through the South Comino Channel to the finish line in Marsamxett Harbour.
5. Taste local wines at the Marsovin Cellars, Marsa. Originally built in the 17th Century by the Knights of St. John, these cellars are now home to 220 oak barrels being used to age the Marsovin Estate Wines, produced with Maltese terroir. Book an online tour* to learn about the methods used and sample the wines in this enchanting setting.
Stay at Phoenicia Hotel from as little as £110 per room per night, on a room-only basis for advance online bookings**. To book visit www.phoeniciamalta.com.
Fly to Malta direct from a choice of 16 UK departure airports with airlines including Air Malta, easyjet and Ryanair, with flights from under £130 return***.